3.25.2019

Holi Cow!

I think it is a pretty widely know fact that in Hinduism cows are sacred. This means that cows are allowed to go where they want and pretty much do as they please. This also means that I will NOT be able to buy beef at the local market.

Since I live in the middle of Kolkata it is not very common to come across wandering cows in my neighborhood. This past week was an exception! Right on the usually busy main road near my flat I came across a couple of cows trying to sate their thirst.


This last week was also my first time to play Holi. Holi is the Hindu festival of color. Imagine a water fight but in addition to water balloons and water guns, you also throw colored powders all over each other. If you play Holi correctly, you'll be tye-dyed by the end. I didn't plan ahead, so I didn't have clothes that I was ok with ruining by playing, I'll be more prepared next year.

I did let the women at the office play Holi with me a little. Enough to take an obligatory Holi picture, but not so much that my clothes were wrecked!

No comments:

Post a Comment