3.11.2019

Building New Skills

One of my jobs is to develop leadership training and soft skills training. Ever since I took the Learning that Lasts course (4 years ago) and began teaching it I have discovered a love for teaching adults and making learning fun and memorable. Every month I'll design a half day class on a different topic and then teach it 3 or 4 times.

March is the first month in which I am giving these classes! The main goals of this month's class were to learn the difference between collaboration and competition, orient ourselves towards collaboration in the workplace, and have a lot of fun.

I faced a few challenges whilst designing this lesson. The major one was; how best to communicate the primary messages when I am still very much so learning Bangla. I had a lot of help both during the planning and execution of the class to get that part sorted. My Bangla is improving but it will still be a while before I can give a class solo.

Another challenge was to find the right games to play that would illustrate the points but wouldn't need too much verbal explanation. The games that are quickly explained and understood in the West are not necessarily the same games that are quickly explained and understood here (and vice versa).


In the end we played musical chairs, built pyramids in teams using cups, strings, and a rubber band, and told a round-robin story. There was a lot of laughter and joy throughout the class. They loved the new games I had introduced. They also seemed to grasp the main point that each of their jobs is valuable and important and we must all collaborate in order to complete our goals.

I get to give this class 2 more times this month. The lesson plan seems good, I just need to work on my Bangla skills. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment