12.10.2018

I Wonder How

There is no place in the world that is free of poor people or beggars. I've seen them in every city, town, or village in which I've been. What to do about that is a question I am constantly asking myself.

A recent book called 'When Helping Hurts' suggests that irresponsible giving can actually hurt the recipients in the long run. Giving, when done, should be done in a responsible and sustainable way that builds up interdependency in the community and autonomy in the individual.

Jesus, on the other hand, said, 'Give to anyone who asks and do not turn your face away from them.' For me, Jesus' words carry infinite more weight than 'When Helping Hurts'...and there is wisdom in carrying for others in a sustainable way.

I've gone through periods where I followed Jesus' words more literally and was truly blessed by doing so. I learned a lot during those times and do not regret giving freely. I've also gone through times where the needs overwhelm me and I am intimidated by what freely giving will cost me.

I went to buy a sari a few days ago. As I was talking with the salesman, a woman alternated between grabbing and pawing my arm and my friend's arm asking for money.


While we wandered through the maze of stalls looking for the right sari we were followed by different women asking for money.

I felt simultaneously guilty for being able to spend $15 on a sari and indignant that I should have to split my focus between bargaining over the sari and responding to the woman at my elbow.
(I'm not saying that any of my reactions were justified or right, I am just being honest about what I experienced in the moment.)

Outside the stalls amidst a crush of people I saw a man whose limbs were so atrophied that he seemed to be all torso, covered in a skin disease, a large lump coming out of his back. It took 2 seconds for the mass of people to move past him, myself included.

I haven't been able to stop thinking of that man since. I have come to realize that it would have been and still is easier to simply give him money and move on. Much harder, would be to go, sit down with him, talk with him, and hug him. I wonder how often he is hugged. I wonder how often people take the time to sit and chat with him. I wonder how often his humanity, as a beloved creation of God, is affirmed.

I am challenged by the question of how to give and what to give so that the true needs are met, not just the ones that are easy to see on the surface. I haven't been able to escape that question recently.

1 comment:

  1. Wow this about brings me to tears. Thanks for your thoughts friend. These are some thoughts worth pondering. ❤️Lynide

    ReplyDelete