5.14.2018

15 Years a Linguist

When I started an MA in conflict resolution and mediation I felt like I was leaving the linguistic/language world behind. I even thought I was "over" linguistics. I was wrong. Apparently languages and linguistic theories are the lens through which I view the world, including conflicts. I think this is not the most common lens to use in conflict analysis. I'm currently developing a thesis topic that relates to the role of language in conflict and how it can be better used as a tool for conflict resolution.

In other language news I was given a small work/study scholarship for translating materials from Hebrew to English. I just finished translating part of the Tel Aviv University's student union website and am now working on translating some policy information for the university.


This is in addition to being involved with a language exchange event in Tel Aviv.

I chose to major in linguistics 15 years ago because it had the fewest core classes and would thus allow me more time to take classes like ballet, tap, martial arts, and ballroom dance. It is encouraging to know that despite my seemingly petty reasons for choosing linguistics God has used it to open doors for me to live and work outside of the US which has been a hope and dream of mine since I was very young.

No comments:

Post a Comment