11.23.2014

Not My Normal: Dagaa

Dagaa (dah-gaah) is a small fish (I think silverfish) that is ubiquitous in the Musoma area. It is one of the more common proteins for many of the people in this region. I, however, have avoided eating these fish for nearly 4 years. Something about eating the fish heads themselves is not exactly appealing to me. So, my primary interaction with these fish is to buy them in bulk and feed them to my dogs (they get mixed with a corn flour paste called ugali).

My nearly 4-year streak of not eating dagaa was broken a couple weeks ago. My neighbors, the Makwasas, gave us a little bowl of dagaa that they had fried in peanut oil. Mr. Makwasa is very generous and as a thank you to Sarah and me for listening to his request he gave us sugar cane and dagaa. 

Dagaa fried in peanut oil glistening in the afternoon sun.

Needless to say, we couldn't simply feed this generous gift to our dogs...so we had dagaa for dinner a couple nights later.

Dagaa stewed with lots of veggies and seasonings to mask the bitter undertones of the fish.

So, I can now confidently assert that I don't prefer dagaa. Not just because I don't want to eat fish heads but because I don't like their flavor. But I've now eaten them, so at least it is an informed opinion.

1 comment: