11.17.2014

My Normal: Maombi

Maombi (mah-ohm-bee) = Requests

One of the biggest adjustments to life here in Musoma has been figuring out how to handle requests for money.

Depending on one another financially is a cultural norm and being indebted to one another actually can build relationships. It is completely opposite from how we, in the West, tend to view money and relationships. It is exceptionally challenging for me to navigate this particular area of my life, especially when the Bible enters into the picture.

This has been challenging me recently: "Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you." (Matthew 5:42)

There are many worldly wisdoms that say I shouldn't follow through on what Jesus says in Matthew 5:42, especially considering that I live somewhere where people actually do ask me for things all the time! But, Jesus didn't qualify this statement/command...so should I?

I recently started being particularly convicted not to qualify Jesus' commands, this one in particular. Because of this desire to do as people have asked of me, please finish reading this blog...or simply stop here if you have appreciated this cultural point and that has been enough.

A few weeks ago I introduced my neighbors, the Makwasas, to you.

Sarah, the three Makwasa boys and me.

Last week Mr. Makwasa came to Sarah and me with a request. He had been very sick several months ago and had to go to India for treatment (he even showed us his endoscopy photos, yay!!!). This has put him in a financial bind and he doesn't have the money to pay school fees, about $1,300, so that his kids can finish the school year.

He asked Sarah and me to ask our friends if any of them wanted to help him...so we are both doing exactly that. We are sharing his need with our friends and if anyone feels led to help him out I can give you information on how to go about that. Please email me at ronitodom@gmail.com by the end of Thanksgiving weekend (when the school fees are due) if you are feeling led to give something toward's the kids' school fees.

No comments:

Post a Comment