11.03.2014

Musoma = Earthsea (kind of)

Earthsea Trilogy.jpg
"Earthsea Trilogy" by Self-scan. Licensed under Fair use via Wikipedia.

I read the Earthsea Trilogy in high-school and really enjoyed the books. They are about a world where magic is conducted by knowing the true name of things. Anyone can work this magic if they just learn the true names. When a true name is used the one who uses it has power and authority over the object or person. So, everyone guards their name and goes by nicknames only telling their true name to people they really trust.

How is Musoma like Earthsea? Well, pretty much every time I leave my house people call out to me...but they don't often know my true name and so I know when I do and do not need to respond. If a man passes me and calls out 'Mzungu' (white-person), or 'Mrembo' (beautiful), or 'Nyangeta' (night), or 'Nyafulu' (a type of little fish), or 'Mwanamke' (woman) I know that I can just walk on and ignore him because I don't know him.

There are a number of names that I will respond to though and when I hear one of them I look around trying to figure out who knows me so that I can greet them properly.

That is why sometimes I feel like I live in Earthsea, when someone knows my name, I respond to them and they have a degree of authority and power over me. If they, however, don't know my name, they have no power or authority over me (generally) and I can just walk on by.

No comments:

Post a Comment