9.08.2014

My normal: Ziplock bags

Ziplock bags aren't available here in Musoma. Knowing this I brought some ziplock bags with me when I first came to Tanzania. I am STILL using those same bags. Not because I haven't needed to use them. Rather, because here in Musoma, we wash them out and reuse them.

It is really nifty that we have floor to ceiling tile in my kitchen because the wet bags stick to the tiles. They can hang there until all dry and ready to be used again.

Notice the variegated color of some of these bags...they've been used a few times.

Not washing out ziplock bags was one of the things I had to think through while in the States. I remember standing there holding a ziplock bag for a couple minutes before finally convincing myself that I was allowed to throw it away.

Actually, I didn't convince myself now that I think of it. I asked my older sister to tell me that I was allowed to throw it away. I'm pretty sure she looked at me with a bit of confusion before giving me permission.

2 comments:

  1. I gave my permission willingly for you to be a non-recycling american whilst in America! Now, you can go back to being your thrifty, nifty African dweller!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend who washes and reuses them, and she lives right here in Tulsa! I'll bet she doesn't know that they'll stick to tile till dry....I will pass that useful bit of info on to her. :))

    ReplyDelete