10.15.2018

Learning Bangla

It's been a long time since I started learning a language. I've had a number of years of feeling competent and savvy in either Swahili or Hebrew. Even last summer when I was studying Arabic I quickly picked up vocabulary thanks to both of those languages! I was also much more familiar with the Arabic script.

The Bangla script is a piece of art! I've never had a steady hand for art, so I'm finding it quite challenging! I do really like the letter at the bottom of the page though, it looks like an fancy double heart.


It has only been two days. I know that in a few weeks all of this will be so much more familiar. I have to keep telling myself that right now. It is very humbling to be at the beginning of learning a language. Watching others converse with ease while you struggle to say 'thank you'. Watching others create a piece of art with their hand as they effortlessly write a word while it takes me a bit to remember how to write a single letter. My jaw is a little sore from trying to form new sounds and shapes that don't exist in English, Swahili, or Hebrew. I think that means that I'm learning something new, and that is always a good thing.

My teacher took me around the area a wee bit yesterday, my first day of class, including a sari shop! I didn't buy a sari yesterday, but I fully intend to wear one soon! I've been told that there might be an event in the next couple of weeks that could necessitate it!!!


Wish me luck with language-learning and sari-wearing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment