4.09.2018

Bless and do not Curse

The sidewalk and biking in Israel has led me to feel more frustration than most other experiences in my life. I can easily get mad at others on the sidewalk because it seems like they are trying to use me to commit suicide. The idea of walking/biking on the right side since they drive on the right side hasn't really taken hold, so it is hard to anticipate or read people's movements.

I don't like feeling frustrated so I generally find a way around it. Biking here has stumped me a bit though. It got a little easier when I figured out I could use my bell similarly to the way I used the horn whilst driving in Tanzania and Kenya. I ding that bell anytime I think someone isn't aware of my location. I've seen other Israelis do this as well, so I think it is appropriate in this culture. The bell helped.

I was still getting frustrated though. This week I decided that I needed to add another level of frustration-protection. I've decided to bless, bless and not curse those who frustrate me the most. I don't want to just put on a good face, I want to change my heart's response to these people, even when they are trying to use me as a weapon against themselves. So, when I notice a negative response to someone, I'm going to bless them. By blessing them, I'm pretty sure that I will also live a more joy-filled life.


No comments:

Post a Comment