11.06.2017

22 Years

22 years ago the Prime Minister of Israel, Yitzhak Rabin, was assassinated at a rally supporting the Oslo Accords. My parents and some of my siblings had been in Israel either that summer, or the preceding one. I was in Israel for the 10-year anniversary of this event. This year I joined tens of thousands of other people in Tel Aviv commemorating it. The rally was held in the exact location of his assassination.


There were many political speeches voicing different ideas but generally communicating a desire for peace. Interspersed amongst the speeches were songs! A beautiful range of musical styles which captured me. It was hard for me to leave because I kept wanting to hear what the next song would be.


And of course there were balloons. It's nice to know that politics, music, and balloons can all still get along.


No comments:

Post a Comment