10.24.2016

A Multicultural Pavlova

This past week I left Virginia and my older sister's house in order to stay with my younger sister for several weeks. She is due to have a baby any day now, her second. Last time I saw her she didn't even have one kid!!! So, I get to be here to help her and her husband over the coming weeks.

So far I've managed to do a few dishes, play with their son and read books to him, and sweep the floor a few times.

I also introduced them to pavlova (an Australian/New Zealand dessert that I learned about in Tanzania). It was fun using blueberries and strawberries, grocery items that are not available in Musoma. But I couldn't resist adding in some pineapple, something that is seasonally available in Musoma.

What started as a solution to the question "what should we do with the extra egg whites?" turned into a dessert that in some ways speaks to the many different cultures and countries that have influenced me over the past several years. It is an Australian/New Zealand dessert topped with fruits I associate with America and Tanzania, and it was beautiful and delicious.


(Maybe next time I should have a section with hagelslag to make it more complete).

2 comments:

  1. Where is the recipe for this beauty?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a number of recipes, I just picked one out of a cookbook at my sister's house. The basic ingredients are egg whites, sugar, vanilla and cornstarch for the base. The top is just whipped cream and fruit.

      Delete