9.28.2015

Right-Handed Challenge

Ok, this week I have a challenge for you. As much as possible, use only your right hand to give someone something.

Here in Tanzania the right hand is considered the clean hand (due to, traditionally/historically, the left hand being reserved for less savory purposes). So, if I pay for produce, I pass the money to the vendor with my right hand. If I am passing a book or piece of paper to my left, I still use my right hand.

This particular aspect of Tanzanian culture has become so engrained in me that when I was in the States last year, even when going through a drive-thru, I would pass the money with my right hand...which is slightly awkward. Also, when I am giving something to a non-Tanzanian, who doesn't care which hand I use, if I use my left hand, I feel like I am being slightly inappropriate.

So, for the coming week, see if you can only use your right hand when you are giving someone something. It may surprise you how difficult it is sometimes to strictly follow this rule.

No comments:

Post a Comment