9.21.2015

An Unpostponed Birthday

Last year I postponed my birthday by a week due to a work related trip (you can read about that here: How to Celebrate a Postponed Birthday).

This year I got to celebrate my birthday on the day itself, and by baking a bunch of cakes and pies for several of the ex-pats in Musoma. I had a truly enjoyable and blessed time making 5 different delectable desserts. It took 2 full days of work and then a few hours in the morning to put it all together, but it was absolutely worth it!


So, on the menu was (clockwise from the latticed pie): Apple Pie, gluten-free chocolate cupcakes with mint icing, passion fruit upside-down cake, and a chocolate layer cake with raspberry marshmallow middle and raspberry marshmallow icing. Not pictured is the mango cheesecake (my third attempt at cheesecake here and by far the most successful)!

One of the fun things about making all of these desserts was cooking from scratch, including the marshmallows! I really loved the creativity it took and the problem solving that had to happen along the way to make all of them turn out. As I said above, absolutely worth it.

Especially because it seemed that everyone who came enjoyed themselves and enjoyed the cakes and pies!



Oh, a fun gift that my mom sent me was this nifty zen garden trowel. I've never felt more calm.


UPDATE!!! I have been informed that this is, in fact, an extendable backscratcher...I guess you never can tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment