4.13.2015

The Puto Kids

Several times a week I walk past this one house. This house is the home to a family with three kids; Gati, Nyamburu, and Freddy.

These kids are very respectful. They always run out to the road, shake my hand, say "shikamoo" (the proper way to greet your elder), and sometimes even give a slight bow. Even if they are in the middle of their bath, they'll jump out of the tub, run over to me and my housemate and make sure to greet us.

A couple months ago they asked us for "puto". I had no idea what a "puto" was, but after a brief, impromptu game of charades, I learned that it is a balloon. I have been asked for money and sodas by kids on the street, but never a balloon. The oddity of the request made us want to meet the need as soon as possible.

Thankfully, Sarah's mom was able to bring us nice sturdy punching balloons from the States!


And by some good luck we happened to bring the balloons on Gati's birthday! (Gati is the one with the blue balloon.)

1 comment: