7.08.2014

4th of July!!!

I have always enjoyed the 4th of July in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Since I was very little my family would bike along Riverside with a simple picnic and set up somewhere along the riverbanks to watch the fireworks show.

Over the years we have grown and so has the fireworks show. We now have a canopy that we set up, we have a large amount of BBQ and other delicious food that we bring, and many camp chairs.

Other than the adorable little girl in the helmet, you can notice in this picture a wagon hooked to the back of a bike (which is my parents' tandem bike). It was incredibly loaded down with the "essentials" of a 4th of July picnic.

Heading out to Boulder/Veterans' Park for the 4th of July fireworks show. My brother-in-law is pulling a trailer with two of his kids in it. Just to date that trailer a bit, I rode in it before I could ride a bike.

I wanted to spend a 4th here in the States before returning to Tanzania. I was truly blessed when nearly all my siblings and half of my nieces and nephews were able to be in town. We have always biked to the show because we live right on Riverside, and since the cops shut down traffic for the show we get to ride our bikes down the middle of one of the busiest Tulsa streets.

Interestingly, I wasn't feeling as much pride and gusto as I was used to this time around. I think after living in an International community, I found some things cheesy that in the past I may have termed 'moving'. I am very grateful to be an American, I have so many advantages in my life because of my nationality. I just really love a few other countries too. America is no longer the only country that I love.

Sparklers and glow sticks were fun, the food was delicious and we had such a sweet and wonderful family time together.



Then the fireworks started, coordinated with patriotic music over the loud speakers. At "the rockets red glare", a burst of red lit the sky. At "bombs bursting in air", it really looked like bombs were going off (in a beautiful way). I started to get some more gusto for my country at that point.

Then the Marine Corps Hymn started playing. There are a lot of military in my family, mostly Marines. They MUST stand at the Hymn, so when that came on, my brother-in-law, younger sister, and aunt all stood at attention (considering that everyone is sitting to watch the show, those who stand, stick out a bit). That, for some familial reason, got to me and I started feeling even more pride.

I don't get it, but even when I'm not feeling hyper-patriotic, just play the right songs, shoot fireworks into the air, and it all comes rushing back. I am so grateful that I got to spend this holiday with my family and that I got to participate in the longest standing Odom family tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment