7.02.2018

A Royal Affair

I am successfully making my way through the long list of finals and events that I listed out a couple of weeks ago. I only have one more final to write!!! I also have a friend visiting me from Tanzania and she arrives on Wednesday!

This last week I finished up The Friendship Games! It was a very interesting experience and it provided me with a lot of food for thought about language barriers, long term affects of such initiatives, the role of music in this event, and many other things! I loved getting to be in the desert for a week and am already missing the arid heat.


The final day of the tournament we took the players on a brief tour of Jerusalem. I was on the bus with the Germans and Lithuanians, so we took them to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre first, assuming that they have a stronger Christian background than Jewish or Muslim. That was when it happened, we had to make way for royalty!!!


In a narrow street outside the church, security personnel and policemen asked us to stand off to the side and not move. They didn't tell us why but within a minute, from around the corner, Prince William suddenly appeared! I stood merely 5 feet from him as he passed. We then had to make our way around the church without getting in the way of his entourage.

I've never been a huge fan of the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, but it was fun sharing the space with a future king for a bit.

Oh, final note: some reporters came from the States to cover the games and they interviewed me for a podcast which you can listen to: HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment