5.12.2014

Tanzania in Dallas

I had the opportunity to attend a Swahili speaking church yesterday! No, it is not the one pictured above, but I like that picture. It was encouraging to have proof that I can still speak and understand Swahili. I’ve been working on Hebrew while in the States, but thankfully Swahili hasn’t gone anywhere.

So many things about being in that congregation made me feel like I was back in Tanzania.

  • The service did not start on time, but much closer than in Tanznia.
  • In Tanzania speakers and a piano are called “vyombo” and it is very important to be able to project the voice of the church as far as you can with “vyombo”. This is one way that they advertise their location and service. Surprisingly, the loudness factor is still employed here in Dallas.
  • In the course of meeting women from the congregation several gave me the “I’m so sorry for you look” when they found out that I am not married. One woman was kind enough to offer to find me a husband from her language group, who happen to be located near Musoma. This kind of thing also happens regularly in Tanzania.
  • I got to stand in front of the congregation and introduce myself and tell them what I do and where I live. I have done this so many times in Tanzanian churches that I went on auto-pilot and was able to give them my tried and true intro-to-me spiel.
  • There was such beautiful African fabric and outfits. Tanzanian women REALLY know how to dress.

The main difference that I noticed?
  • I didn’t see a single woman openly nursing even once during the service.

I noticed on additional similarity : the manner and topic of preaching.
It was a guest preacher from Kenya that spoke, and I was reminded of how sermons in Tanzania can often be from a very legalistic viewpoint. The sermon was about how to be “perfect” in order to please God. I kept wanting to hear him mention grace and the blood of Jesus that washes away our sins and justifies us, but instead we were encouraged to be just, upright, and perfect in and of ourselves, so that God will accept us.

I have rarely heard grace taught in Tanzania. I feel more strongly than ever the need to be in relationship with Tanzanians when I return so that I can talk about grace with them. Even if they have gone to church every Sunday of their lives, they may never have come to an understanding of God’s AMAZING grace.

The classes that I am taking are gearing me up and motivating me in the work that I will do when I return. The church service yesterday has motivated me in the relationships that I will have when I return.

Praise God for preparing me!!!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I nursed right before the service, haha, but I guess I did cover up, so that was a bit American of me. -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of us in Musoma these days are aching for people to understand grace. It's cool to see that God's putting that on your heart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwana Yesu asifiwe! I am so glad to read about Tanzanian Church in the US. I have lived in Tanzania for ten yeras. I miss that land. I miss the people! Mungu ibariki Tanzania~

    ReplyDelete