3.20.2017

11 Years of Running

I have run on 5 out of the 7 continents. I have run in beautiful farm paths overlooking Lake Victoria and through boring cookie cutter neighborhoods. I have developed close friendships with running buddies and spent hours running alone. I've hated running and taken prolonged breaks and I've found running to be a source of escape and calm in the midst of stress. I have learned a lot through the discipline of running.

I started running 11 years ago, here in Israel. The Dead Sea half marathon was the first race I entered. My friend Angela drove me to the race and we took these pictures that day:



Since then I ran the OKC half marathon (the only race that I've run with a friend. Thanks Janna!!!). I then ran THE marathon - running from Marathon to Athens. That was followed two weeks later with the Route 66 marathon and then 7 weeks later with the Disney World marathon. That was 7 years ago. I thought I was done, but no.

This past weekend I ran the Jerusalem half marathon. There are many reasons why this was a special (final?) marathon.

1) I've now done three half marathons and three full marathons.
2) My first marathon and last (?) were in Israel.
3) Angela, my friend from 11 years ago, is here in Israel too! She helped me get to the race once again by letting me sleep on her couch. Once again, she took the pre-race photo of me and we got a post-race selfie together.


No comments:

Post a Comment